2016 News Archive
2015 News Archive
2014 News Archive
2013 News Archive
2012 News Archive
2011 News Archive
2010 News Archive
2009 News Archive
2008 News Archive
2007 News Archive
Press Releases »
2010 News Archive
2010 News Archive
- BPD Make Arrests in Recent Cases
— Buffalo police have made arrests in two recent cases and have leads in two other cases.
- BPD Looking for Person of Interest
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives want to question an individual in connection with a recent investigation.
- BPD Searching for Home Repair Robber
— Buffalo police are looking for a "person of interest" in connection with the robbery and beating of a woman in her late 60's.
- Mayor Brown & BPD Announce Fourth Round Of Drug Raids
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and Commissioner Daniel Derenda today announced that the Buffalo Police Department Narcotics Unit, SWAT Team, Violent Crimes Impact Team and the K-9 Unit completed another phase of their relentless attack on illegal drugs and illegal guns, after a two-day series of raids primarily targeting the City’s South Side.
- Latest On Snow Situation in S.Buffalo - Lovejoy
— According to the city's Department of Public Works, it is now estimated that 8,000 truckloads of snow have been removed from the affected South Buffalo and Lovejoy neighborhoods and transported to the dump site at the corner of Abbey Street and South Park Avenue
- Driving Ban Lifted in South Buffalo
— Mayor Byron W. Brown has lifted the driving ban for South Buffalo and Lovejoy. A travel advisory remains in place for those areas.
- BPD Break-up Suspected South Buffalo Burglary Ring
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda announced today that six individuals have been arrested in connection with an apparent burglary spree in South Buffalo that targeted as many as 15 homes and businesses combined.
- Breaking News: Bank Robbery Suspect Caught
— Buffalo police have arrested an individual believed to be responsible for a number of recent city bank robberies, and one attempted robbery.
- BPD Make Arrest in Mid-November Homicide
— A Buffalo man has been charged with manslaughter in connection with the city's 51st homicide this year. 41 year old Dwain Walker, listing a Kingsley Street address, was charged by homicide squad detectives on Friday, November 26th. "The suspect turned himself in, at police headquarters, this morning," according to Dennis J. Richards, Chief of Detectives
- Pittsburgh Steelers’ Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Announces Buffalo Area K-9 Grant
— Today, Pittsburgh Steelers’ Super Bowl Champion Quarterback and Findlay, OH native Ben Roethlisberger announced the seventh grant of the 2010 season from The Ben Roethlisberger Foundation at The Giving Back Fund. The foundation will be distributing a grant to the City of Buffalo Police Department, in Buffalo, NY where the Steelers will play the Bills Sunday, Nov. 28.
- Mayor Brown & BPD Announce Third Round Of Drug Raids
— The Buffalo Police Department continued its relentless attack on illegal drugs and illegal guns after a series of just completed raids primarily targeting the City’s West Side.
- BPD Cold Case Squad Looking for Information
— The BPD Cold Case Squad is looking for information regarding the homicide of Timothy Bryant.
- Grant Street Bank Robbery
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance photos in connection with a bank robbery this morning in the 100 block of Grant St.
- Mayor Brown Announces Enhanced Holiday Foot Patrol and Safety Measures
— Mayor Byron W. Brown, Buffalo Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda and hospitality industry representatives today announced recently introduced enhanced citywide Buffalo Police Department foot patrols and additional public safety measures for the upcoming Thanksgiving week holiday.
- BPD Release Photo of Suspect in Homicide Case
— Buffalo police are hunting for a suspect in the city's most recent homicide case.
- Fourteen Promoted During BPD Ceremony
— The overflow crowd of family, friends and co-workers were on hand as fourteen members of the department received promotions.
- Mayor Brown Announces New Round Of Successful Drug Raids
— For the second time in two weeks, Mayor Byron W. Brown today joined members of the Buffalo Police Department to highlight another round of drug raids that brought about several arrests and the seizure of drugs, illegal guns and cash.
- BPD Make Arrest in Halloween Morning Shooting of Teenage Girl
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested an individual in connection with an early Halloween morning shooting of a 13 year old Buffalo girl.
- Mayor Brown Announces Successful Drug Raids
— BUFFALO – Mayor Byron W. Brown today joined Buffalo Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda and other members of the Buffalo Police Department to highlight recent drug raids that brought about several arrests and the seizure of drugs, illegal guns and cash.
- Halloween Safety Message From Mayor Brown
— Halloween is a time for ghouls, goblins, and witches. It is one night of the year where kids can dress in their favorite costume and journey around their neighborhood for candy. Let’s avoid the occurrences of villains in neighborhoods – not the villains in costumes, but the individuals who take advantage of the Halloween celebration to commit mischief and vandalism.
- Fake 911 Call Turns into Arrest
— Buffalo police have arrested an individual in connection with a fake call in an attempt to lure authorities away from an apparent drug deal
- City Cameras Lead to Gun Arrest
— After a nearly weeklong investigation, Buffalo police have recovered a dangerous weapon from a local deli, with the key information provided by a city surveillance camera.
- BPD Investigate Fatal Shooting of Teenager
— Buffalo police continue to investigate the fatal shooting of 15 year old Dominique Maye of Hewitt Avenue.
- South District Officers Arrest Pharmacy Suspect
— Buffalo police have arrested an individual in connection with a pharmacy robbery. The incident happened Wednesday morning, September 29th, just after 9am at the Nickel City Pharmacy located at 1791 South Park Avenue.
- 27 Buffalo Gang Members Indicted
— 27 gang members and associates charged with racketeering, racketeering conspiracy, violent crimes in aid of
racketeering, narcotics trafficking and firearm offenses.
- BPD Continues Relentless Attack on Drug Activity in City
— Buffalo Police Narcotic Squad Detectives completed two days of drug raids on the city’s East Side by executing some 30 search warrants and the arrest of at least 25 individuals.
- Mid-August Shooting Turns Fatal
— Buffalo police confirmed that a shooting incident nearly two weeks ago has turned fatal. 23 year old Spencer Cowart died, late Thursday evening, at Erie County Medical Center, where he had been confined since August 14th.
- Mayor Brown and BPD Announce Arrest of City Grill Suspect
— BUFFALO – Mayor Byron Brown today announced that the Buffalo Police Department has charged 23 year-old Riccardo McCray, of East Ferry Street, with four counts of murder in the second degree, for his role in the shootings outside of City Grill that took four lives and injured four others.
- Mayor Brown Announces Creation of Violent Crime Task Force
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced the creation of a new Violent Crime Task Force that will target violent, repeat offenders, helping to rid city streets of individuals or groups of individuals who commit heinous, violent crimes.
- BPD Make Arrest in Attempted Murder
— Sixteen year old Darryl Tarver of Echols Lane in Buffalo was charged with attempted murder in the second degree as well as assault in the first degree.
- BPD Making Progress in Main Street Shootings
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives continue to make progress in connection with the investigation into last Saturday's quadruple homicide in downtown Buffalo.
- BPD Investigate Recent Rash of Homicides
— The identities of Buffalo's recent homicides have been confirmed and their names are being released by the Buffalo police department.
- Alert Officers Rescue Crying Cat From Car Trunk
— Thanks to two Buffalo police officers a 4 year old feline has another life.
- BPD Looking for Shooting Suspect Armed & Dangerous
— Buffalo police are looking for the public's assistance in locating a suspect, considered armed and dangerous, in connection with a shooting incident that occurred on July 22nd.
- Housing Officers Make Quick Arrests In Fatal Shooting
— Buffalo police officers assigned to the recently created Housing Unit played a key role that led to arrests in connection with Thursday night's fatal shooting at the Perry Housing Complex.
- BPD Investigate Sunday Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives continue to investigate a Sunday morning shooting.
- Homicide Detectives Make Arrests in East Side Fatal Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives work quickly to make two arrests in a fatal East Side shooting.
- Daniel Derenda Sworn-in as New Police Commissioner
— On Wednesday, July 21st, the Buffalo Common Council confirmed Daniel Derenda as the new police commissioner. Moments after being confirmed, the 51 year old Derenda was sworn in.
- Stolen Statue Returned
— A valuable statue that was stolen from the Italian Festival was returned Wednesday night.
- Mayor Brown Announces Top Department Appointments
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced that he has filed with the Buffalo Common Council the appointment of Daniel Derenda as Commissioner of the Buffalo Police Department.
- BPD Make Arrest in Elmwood Avenue Fatal Stabbing
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested two people in connection with the robbery-murder of a 61 year old Buffalo man.
- Mayor Byron W. Brown Announces Creation of BPD Housing Unit
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and the Buffalo Police Department today announced the creation of the new BPD Housing Unit.
- Mayor Brown Announces Opening of New Buffalo Police Department Internal Affairs Office
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced the Buffalo Police Department will open its new Internal Affairs Division (IAD) office in City Hall. The new office will be located in the city’s 311 suite of offices on the second floor of City Hall. It will be staffed by Buffalo Police Department personnel Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The IAD office at BPD headquarters will remain open and accessible to the public.
- Mayor Brown Announces Neighborhood Anti-Crime Effort
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced the creation of a new, neighborhood-based anti-crime effort that will support city block clubs and residents in monitoring and reporting suspicious activity.
- Indictment and Arrest in Kenzel Fleming Homicide Investigation
— An individual has been indicted and arrested in connection with the shooting death of 23 year old Kenzel Fleming back in early April. Fleming was shot and killed on Davidson Street near Eggert Road on April 6th, 2010, at approximately 9:45am.
- Corporate Challenge Parking
— If you're attending the Corporate Challenge race set for Thursday, June 10th, the Buffalo Police Department has some simple reminders.
- Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Public Notice – Year Six
— Notice is hereby given that the City of Buffalo, in partnership with the County of Erie, and the Town of Cheektowaga is participating in a grant sponsored by the US Department of Justice, under the Bureau of Justice Assistance, entitled Edward Byrne Memorial 2010 Justice Assistance Grant (JAG).
- Mayor Brown Announces Summer Police Foot & Bicycle Patrols
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced that the Buffalo Police Department’s foot and bicycle patrols in each of the Department’s five districts are prepared for another summer season, providing comprehensive patrol coverage in the city’s commercial districts, residential neighborhoods & parks.
- New Program Allows You to TEXT TIPS to BPD Anonymously
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and the Buffalo Police Department unveiled a new program that allows YOU to anonymously and safely help fight crime by using your own cell phone.
- BPD Make Arrest in Hit and Run of a Pregnant Woman
— Buffalo Police have made an arrest in connect with the hit and run case involving a pregnant Buffalo woman.
- Mayor Brown Announces Expanded School Resource Officers Unit
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced that his Administration has expanded the School Resource Officer Unit to provide greater support to Buffalo Public School safety and security activities throughout the city.
- Cameras Catch Suspected Vehicle In April 1st Homicide
— Buffalo police are releasing City Surveillance video of a vehicle that might've been used in connection with a homicide on April 1st of this year.
- BPD and Air One Arrest Two in KFC Robbery
— Buffalo police and the Erie County Air One helicopter combined to make two
arrests following the armed robbery of a KFC restaurant Monday afternoon,
- Two New Chiefs in the City
— Two new police chiefs were officially sworn in Wednesday afternoon, May 5th, at Buffalo Police Headquarters. Surrounded by family, friends and co-workers, Brian K. Patterson and Patrick M. Pascall took the oath of office. Acting Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda and Mayor Byron W. Brown led the ceremonies.
- Mayor Brown Announces New Public Safety Appointments
— BUFFALO – Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced the appointment of Garnell Whitfield, Jr. as Commissioner of the Buffalo Fire Department.
- BPD Looking for "Would-be Deli Robbers"
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance photos in connection with the attempted armed robbery inside of a deli last night involving two suspects.
- Cold Case Murder Solved
— An anonymous tip almost five years after an innocent teenager was shot to death has helped authorities in finding the suspected killer.
- Cameras Catch Suspect In The Act
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance photos in connection with a bank robbery at M&T Bank located at Fountain Plaza.
- Grand Larceny at the K-Mart Store on Hertel Avenue
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance photos in connection with a grand larceny at the K-Mart store on Hertel Avenue.
- Traffic Stop Turns into Drug Arrest Thanks to BPD K-9
— The K-9 Unit of the Buffalo Police Department once again played a key role in the Departments’ relentless crackdown on illegal drug activity in the City of Buffalo.
- BPD Continues Crackdown on Illegal Drugs
— The Buffalo Police Department continued its relentless crackdown on illegal drug activity in the city.
- BPD Members Honored at Medaille College Awards
— Three veteran members of the Buffalo Police Department were honored at the 5th Annual Medaille College Media Awards Ceremony that was held on Monday, March 22nd.
- BPD Arrest Armed Shooting Suspect
— Buffalo police have made an arrest of a an armed man, who is believed to have shot at another man on Ericson Avenue, before fleeing in a car early Thursday evening, March 25th.
- Bank Robbery Suspects Caught on Camera
— Buffalo police have released surveillance photos of an attempted bank robbery that occurred just before 3pm Tuesday afternoon, March 23rd.
- City and BPD Announce Temporary Home for D District
— D District will now handle all police services at 205 Esser Avenue. To reach D District by phone call 851.4413 or 851.4417.
- BPD Recover Stolen Money After Bank Robbery
— Buffalo police are investigating a late morning bank robbery at the M&T Bank, 3037 Bailey Avenue.
- Mayor Brown Presents Final Air Quality Report On D District
— Mayor Byron Brown today released findings of a final report on air quality and other related environmental issues by Leader Professional Service, Inc. at the Buffalo Police Department’s D District building on Hertel Avenue.
- BPD Announce Two Arrests in Recent Homicides
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and Interim Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda announced today that homicide detectives have made two arrests in 2010 cases.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in '02 Rape Case
— Buffalo police have solved a 2002 sexual assault, involving a then 15 year old girl, with the help of a DNA "hit".
- Mayor Brown Announces City of Buffalo 2010 Bulk Trash Pickup Schedule
— The City of Buffalo’s 2010 bulk trash pickup service will begin on April 11th. Check the listing for your district for spring bulk trash collections.
- Police Release Video in Family Dollar Robberies
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance photos in connection with two armed robberies at the same Family Dollar store that occurred five days apart in mid January.
- BPD Make Arrest in Bike Path Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested two individuals in connection with the November 2009 slaying of 17 year old Ruel Cotto.
- BPD Investigate Fatal Parking Lot Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives continue to investigate the city's 6th homicide of 2010.
- BPD Names New Head of Internal Affairs
— A 25 year veteran of the Buffalo Police Department has been named as the new Inspector of its Internal Affairs Division.
During a brief ceremony at police headquarters Friday afternoon, February 5th, Harold M. McLellan was promoted to the head of Internal Affairs.
- BPD Investigate String of Car Break-ins in Old First Ward
— Buffalo police are investigating a series of car break-ins that occurred Wednesday night, February 3rd, in the Old First Ward area.
- BPD Arrest Downtown Graffiti Suspect
— Buffalo police have arrested an individual in connection with a series of graffiti incidents on Allen Street, Elmwood Avenue and Main Street.
- Operation Family Guy
— United States Attorney Kathleen M. Mehltretter of the Western District of New York, Erie County DA, Frank A. Sedita, III, and John P. Gilbride, SpecialAgent in Charge of the New York Office of the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (“DEA”), jointly announce today the unsealing of a Federal Indictment charging Eric J. Humphrey, age 31, of Amherst, New York, along with Charles M. Humphrey, Jr., age 41, James Humphrey, Jr., age 35 and John E. Humphrey, age 39, all of Buffalo
- Death of 72 year old man Ruled a Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives are investigating the city's 5th homicide of 2010.
- Alert: BPD Make Public Aware of Text Message Scam
— Buffalo police are alerting the public in connection with an apparent text message scam.
- BPD Investigate Suspicious Discovery
— Buffalo police continue to investigate the discovery of what appears to a wooden cross with the initials KKK on it.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in Robbery Spree
— Buffalo police have arrested 36 year old Martin Spahn of West Seneca in connection with a series of attempted robberies and robberies this past week-end in the city's Black Rock-Riverside, West Side and Elmwood Avenue area.
- BPD Alert Pizza Delivery Drivers
— Buffalo police are investigating the robbery of a pizza delivery driver that occurred Monday night, January 18th, at around 8:15pm in the Donovan Drive housing complex in the city's Ferry-Grider neighborhood.
- BPD Searching for Suspect in Attempted Robbery
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance photos of an attempted robbery that occurred this past Saturday afternoon, January 16th on Allen Street.
- BPD Make Arrest in Restaurant Shooting
— Buffalo police have made an arrest in connection with a fatal restaurant shooting that occurred Saturday morning, January 16th.