2016 News Archive
2015 News Archive
2014 News Archive
2013 News Archive
2012 News Archive
2011 News Archive
2010 News Archive
2009 News Archive
2008 News Archive
2007 News Archive
Press Releases »
2009 News Archive
2009 News Archive
- Law Enforcement Training Academy Graduates 114th Class
— A graduation ceremony for the 114th class in Erie County Law Enforcement Training Academy history was held December 18, 2009 in the Minnie Gillette Auditorium at Erie Community College’s City Campus, 121 Ellicott St., Buffalo.
- K-9 Graduation
— Five K-9's graduated Wednesday afternoon, December 16th, including "Stark" from the Buffalo Police Department. The ceremony was held at the Niagara Regional Police Service Headquarters in St.Catharines, Ontario.
- TIPCALL Line Does it Again
— After releasing surveillance photos on Saturday, December 5th in connection with a case of credit card fraud, Buffalo police have arrested three individuals.
- Rewards Offered For Suspect Who Shot At Officer
— Two rewards have been set up in connection with a late November armed robbery where the suspect shot at an on-duty Buffalo police officer.
- BPD Arrest Mother & Son in Bank Robberies
— Buffalo police have arrested a mother and her son in connection with an attempted robbery, and a robbery on consecutive days - at the same bank. The incidents occurred this past summer on August 25th and August 26th.
- BPD Arrest Woman in Church Larcenies
— Late Tuesday night, November 24th, Buffalo police arrested an individual in connection in connection with four recent thefts at churches. Police have arrested 36 year old Sandra M. Abrams of Buffalo and charged her with three counts of grand larceny and...
- BPD Arrest Three Suspects in Concrete Beating Case
— Buffalo police have arrested three individuals in connection with the mid August beating of a then 18 year old Buffalo man. Police have charged 18 year old Donte A. Lee and his brother, 16 year old Antoine Blackmon...
- BPD Releases Photos of Person of Interest in Church Larcenies
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance photos of a "person of interest" in connection with four church larcenies in the Buffalo and north Buffalo on November 15th.
- UB Alert - Timely Warning from University Police
— An incident has occurred on or near a University at Buffalo campus that may pose a
continuing threat to the university community. This warning is provided so that you
may take whatever action is deemed necessary for your safety.
- BPD Alert Public of Church Larcenies
— Buffalo police are warning people to be aware of their surroundings - and their property - even while attending worship services. There has been an unusual amount of larcenies from churches reported in the recent past, that has prompted police to warn the church-going public.
- BPD Promote Eight
— The Buffalo Police Department promoted eight individuals during a noon time ceremony, Monday afternoon, November 16th at Buffalo Police Headquarters.
- BPD Mourns Loss of Highly Respected Lieutenant
— The Buffalo Police Department continues to mourn the loss of Lt. Thomas J. Masterson Sr., who passed away Wednesday, November 11th, following an almost year-long battle with cancer.
- BPD Release Video of Bank Robber Suspect
— Buffalo police Bank Robbery Suspect continue to investigate a mid morning bank robbery in the 700 block of Exchange Street.
- City Surveillance Camera Video Instrumental in Fatal Stabbing Arrest
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a 28 year old Buffalo man in connection with a fatal stabbing over the Halloween week-end.
- BPD Cold Case Detectives Arrest Suspect in 1998 Shooting Incident
— Buffalo Police Cold Case detectives arrested an individual in connection with a fatal West Side shooting that occurred over 11 years ago.
- BPD Continue Narcotics Crackdown in the City
— Buffalo Police Narcotics Squad Detectives led by Lieutenant Paul R. Delano Jr. executed a search warrant late Monday night , November 9th, in the city's Riverside section, and arrested the resident - John Rickard, who lived in the 200 block of Laird St.
- BPD Make Arrest in Summertime Shooting outside of a Sr. Citizen Complex
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested an individual in connection with the fatal shooting of a 61 year old man while he was outside of a Senior Citizen Complex on the City’s East Side.
- BPD Investigate Bailey-Kensington Bank Robbery
— Buffalo police continue to investigate a mid-morning bank robbery in the city's Bailey-Kensington area.
- Manhunt Ends with Arrest
— At approximately 7:30AM, an arrest team consisting of over a dozen police officers from Buffalo and Syracuse arrested Donnell Lloyd, the subject of a police manhunt for over two years.
- BPD Make Arrest in Baby Death
— Buffalo police have made an arrest in the beating death of an infant. Investigating officers were told the baby boy was found unresponsive, by his parents.
- BPD Identify Victim in Burning Vehicle
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have identified the victim who was found Wednesday morning, October 28th, inside a burning vehicle
- Buffalo Police Continue Crackdown in University District Area
— Buffalo police conducted a total of 7 separate search warrants in and around the University District area of the city on Monday night.
- Announcing the Buffalo Police Department's Youth Police Academy
— Attention 7th & 8th Graders! Learn about cyber crime, crime prevention, peer pressure and how violence can affect the life of teens.
- Police Search for South Buffalo Bank Bandit
— Buffalo police are investigating a mid-morning bank robbery that occurred in the 2100 block of Seneca Street.
- BPD Seek Suspects in Broken Windows Case
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance photos from an incident that occurred in early September in the 200 block of Great Arrow Avenue in North Buffalo.
- Police, Public And Cameras Come Together In Burglary Arrest
— Thanks to good old fashioned police work, the help of the City’s new surveillance cameras and the continued help from the public, Buffalo Police have arrested a man in connection with a burglary of a South Buffalo Senior Citizens Residence.
- BPD Homicide Detectives Arrest Suspect in July Murder
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a suspect in connection with the shooting death of a West Side man.
- BPD Seek "Person of Interest" in Recent Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives want to question 19 year old Ryan Hayashi in connection with the homicide of Raymond Paige.
- BPD Break up Scam as it's Happening
— Buffalo Police Detectives are investigating a Maryland man, believed to have bilked local residents out of cash, with the promise of a decent job. 31 year old Neeraj Sharma, of Laurel, MD was arrested in downtown Buffalo Thursday night, running from a person who accused him of bilking him out of his money.
- BPD and Erie County Sheriff’s Join Forces in the Sky
— The Buffalo Police Department and the Erie County Sheriff’s Department will join forces to help continue to curb crime in the City of Buffalo.
- Updated Information for Scheduled Funerals of Two Fallen Buffalo Fire Fighters
— Preliminary media information regarding Friday’s funerals at St. Joseph Cathedral in downtown Buffalo.
- BPD Release Video of Cash & Carry Robber
— Buffalo police are releasing surveillance video of an apparent armed robbery at the "Cash & Carry Store", located at 181 Military Road.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in Jefferson Avenue Fatal Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a suspect in connection with Thursday evening’s fatal shooting on Jefferson Avenue near East Utica.
- Buffalo Police & FBI Arrest Suspect in On-Line Sex Crime Case
— Buffalo Police and the FBI have made an arrest in connection with a suspect who attempted to obtain a 4 year old girl for the purpose of engaging in sexual activity.
- BPD Investigate Shooting Outside of Sr. Citizens Apartment
— Buffalo police continue to investigate a shooting that occurred Wednesday afternoon, August 12th, in the 800 block of William Street.
- BPD Make Arrest in Stolen Police Car Case
— Buffalo police, along with the Erie County Sheriff's Department and other other agencies, have combined to make an arrest involving a stolen Buffalo police car.
- Mayor and BPD Ask for Public's Help in Hirschbeck Street Shooting
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and members of the Buffalo Police Department conducted a WAVE Wednesday afternoon on Hirschbeck Street following an overnight shooting that left two people dead and three others injured.
- BPD Seek Person of Interest in West Side Shooting
— Buffalo police are looking for a Person of Interest in connection with last Friday afternoon's shooting on the City's West Side.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in Sunday Night Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested an 18 year old Buffalo man in connection with the Sunday night fatal shooting that occurred in the City's Bailey-Kensington area.
- BPD Add 15 New Officers to the Force
— The Buffalo Police Department welcomed 15 new recruits into its ranks on Friday afternoon, July 31st, 2009. The ceremony attended by family and friends, was held in the Academy at Police Headquarters. Mayor Byron W. Brown and Police Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson presided over the swearing in ceremony.
- Buffalo Man Arrested by Task Force
— On Thursday July 30, 2009, members of the United States Marshals’ Service Fugitive Task Force, consisting of US Deputy Marshals, State Police, Buffalo Police, and Niagara County Sheriff’s Department arrested JAMEL BRANNON, age 33.
- City of Buffalo and UB Partner to Improve Safety, Quality of Life in University Heights
— Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown and University at Buffalo President John B. Simpson today announced new collaborative initiatives to improve safety, deter crime and enhance the quality of life in University Heights.
- BPD Investigate Fatal Shooting outside of East Side Community Center
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives continue to investigate a fatal shooting that occurred outside of the Community Center located near East Delavan and Moselle at around 8:30pm Wednesday night, July 22nd.
- Officer Colon Laid to Rest
— The Buffalo Police Department is mourning the loss of veteran Police Officer Jose A. Colon. Officer Colon past away at about 1pm Friday afternoon in the Erie County Medical Center after his SUV was apparently rear-ended by an alleged drunken driver, according to State Police.
- BPD Arrest Second Suspect in U.B. Student Homicide Case
— Arrested, based on findings of an Erie County grand jury, is 18 year old Christian T. Klenke, also known as Christian McCutcheon of Norfolk Avenue in the City. He has been charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the second degree, an armed felony, according to an Indictment Warrant, dated July 17th.
- Mayor Brown Announces Enhanced Police Foot & Bicycle Patrols
— Mayor Byron W. Brown announced that the Buffalo Police Department will update and enhance police foot and bicycle patrols in each of the Department's five districts, providing comprehensive patrol coverage.
- Mayor Brown Announces Third Citywide Gun Buyback Program
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced his Administration's third "No Questions Asked" Gun Buyback Program will take place on Saturday, August 15, 2009 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at seven drop-off sites across Buffalo.
- Mayor Brown Announces New Surveillance Camera Location
— Mayor Byron W. Brown announced that a new surveillance camera will be installed at the corner of Hoyt Street and Potomac Avenue on the city's West Side.
- BPD Homicide Detectives Arrest Suspect in Death of 15 year old
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a suspect in connection with the death of 15 year old Kowat Rual of Garner Street.
- BPD & Other Agencies Seize Over 35lbs of Marijuana
— At approximately 10:30 this morning, officers from the Buffalo Police Department's Narcotics Squad in cooperation with the United States Postal Inspectors Service, led by Investigator Stacy Wiechec, and assisted by detectives from the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority police and Cheektowaga police departments did observe two package deliveries at different city locations, with a combined weight of over 35 pounds of marijuana.
- Safe Yields Over $83,000 in Cash
— Buffalo police Mobile Response Unit officers obtained a search warrant and opened a safe which had been seized as evidence last week.
- Law Enforcement Training Academy graduates 113th class June 19
— A graduation ceremony for the 113th class in Erie County Law Enforcement Training Academy history was held Friday, June 19, 2009 in the Minnie Gillette Auditorium at Erie Community College’s City Campus, 121 Ellicott St., Buffalo.
- Attempt to Locate Persons of Interest
— Buffalo police homicide investigators are attempting to locate two individuals, for questioning in the death investigation of Kowat Rual.
- BPD Seeking Clues in Death of Teenager
— Buffalo police have identified the male found at a canoe launch in the vicinity of Ohio Street and South Street, late Tuesday morning, June 9th. Homicide detectives are seeking the public's help in solving this homicide.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in Corner Store Robbery
— Buffalo Police have arrested a suspect in connection with an apparent armed robbery of a corner store that occurred on may 12th.
- BPD Homicide Detectives Arrest Suspect in Mother’s Day Fatal Shooting
— After an intense investigation by Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives, they’ve arrested a suspect in connection with the shooting death of 23 year old Javon R. Jackson of the Bronx, N.Y.
- Plaque Honors Police Officers Who Served in Vietnam
— An estimated 100 or so people attended the Memorial Day plaque unveiling at Buffalo Police Headquarters.
- BPD Cold Case Squad Solves "30 Plus Year" Murder Case
— Buffalo Police Cold Case Detectives have solved a murder case that occurred on the morning of May 20th, 1975.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in House Party Homicide
— Buffalo Police have arrested a 16 year old suspect in connection with the fatal shooting that occurred on Beiter Walk early Monday morning, May 18th.
- BPD Reel in Another Bank Robbery Suspect
— Buffalo police continue to solve a number of recent bank robberies in the Queen City - this time two robberies cleared with one individual arrested.
- BPD Searching for Suspects in U.B. Student Homicide
— A 23 year old Bronx man was killed in the vicinity of Main Street and Lisbon Avenue, early Sunday morning. The victim had graduated from the State University of New York at Buffalo, on Saturday.
- BPD Quickly Nab Suspect In Early Morning Homicide
— Early Saturday morning, May 2nd, a Buffalo police officer on routine patrol did hear several gunshots. Police Officer Mark Goodspeed of the Ferry Fillmore District then saw a male run from a parking lot in the 1400 block of Broadway around 4AM. The suspect, identified as 29 year old Timothy Sanders of May St., tossed a handgun to the ground, upon seeing the officer.
- BPD Homicide Detectives Arrest 16 year old in Isabelle St. Fatal Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a 16 year old male in connection with Wednesday night’s fatal shooting that took the life of a 31 year old Kenmore man.
- BPD Arrest:"Man Dressed as Woman" Bank Robber
— Buffalo police have arrested a suspect in connection with the April 17th Key Bank robbery, located at 3134 Bailey Avenue.
- Attorney General Cuomo Announces Takedown of Major Western New York Drug Ring
— Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo announced Thursday the takedown of a highly organized drug distribution organization which spanned from Southern California to western New York.
- Swine Flu Update
— On Sunday, the U.S. Department of Health and Humans Services (HHS) declared a public health emergency related to the outbreak of swine flu in Mexico and the cases reported in the United States.
- BPD Homicide Detectives Link Suspect to Rother Avenue Killing
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a 42 year old Sycamore Street man in connection with the death of a woman found in the basement of a vacant house on Rother Avenue last Monday, April 20th.
- BPD Make Arrest in Dartmouth Avenue Double Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a suspect in connection with a mid January double homicide on Dartmouth Avenue.
- BPD Arrest Two in School Burglary
— Buffalo police have arrested two individuals in connection with a burglary at Riverside High School.
- BPD Investigate "Man Dressed as Woman Bank Robber"
— Buffalo police continue to investigate a bank robbery from last Friday, April 17th.
- BPD Search For Two HSBC Bank Robbers
— Buffalo police are investigating a late morning armed bank robbery in the 1400 block of Fillmore Avenue.
- BPD Continue Relentless Attack on Gangs, Guns and Drugs in the City
— Sunday evening, April 5th, the Buffalo police SWAT Team and the Mobile Response Unit executed two search warrants on Buffalo's East side.
- BPD Searching for Bailey Avenue Bank Bandit
— Buffalo police are looking for a suspect following a bank robbery Thursday afternoon, just after 1:30pm. The incident happened at the M&T Bank at 3037 Bailey avenue.
- BPD Continues Relentless Attacks on Gangs, Guns and Drugs in the City
— The Buffalo Police Department rounded up 11 more suspects over the week-end as they continue to target Gangs, Guns and Drugs in the City.
- BPD Locate Person of Interest in 2007 Homicide
— Buffalo police have located Joyce Costner, a 'person of interest' in connection with a 2007 homicide.
- Suspect Arrested in North Buffalo Double Shooting
— Buffalo police have arrested 21 year old Adrienne S. March in connection with a double shooting in North Buffalo last Monday afternoon, March 16th.
- Breaking News: BPD Identify Person of Interest in Double Shooting
— Buffalo police homicide detectives continued their investigation into a double shooting which occurred shortly after one o'clock Monday afternoon.
- Police Release Photos in Convenient Store Robbery
— Buffalo Police are releasing surveillance photos from an armed robbery that occurred at the Wilson Farms Store in the 3200 block of Main St. at Winspear Avenue.
- A Tip Leads BPD to Two of America's Most Wanted
— Police arrested two fugitives in connection with the death of their 3 year daughter in Scranton, PA. Police say that the two were recognized after they were seen on America's Most Wanted Saturday night.
- Breaking News: Tip Leads to Arrest in Homicide Case
— Buffalo police homicide detectives have arrested 42 year old Weldon H. Young in connection with the murder of 43 year old Charles Brackett of Landon St.
- Life Saving Devices Donated to City of Buffalo and BPD
— The Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association has graciously donated two defibrillators to the City of Buffalo and the Buffalo Police Department.
- City of Buffalo 2009 Bulk Trash Pickup Schedule
— The City of Buffalo's 2009 bulk trash pickup service will begin on April 19th. The listing below indicates the spring bulk trash collections in the city's nine Council districts.
- BPD Solve City's 6th Homicide of 2009
— Buffalo Police have made an arrest in connection with the death of a 76 year old woman. Police have arrested 45 year old Earl Gill of 100 East Tupper and charged him with two counts of murder in the 2nd degree and one count of burglary in the 1st degree.
- BPD Search for Wilson Farms Robber
— Buffalo police are looking for this suspect in connection of an armed robbery of a Wilson Farms store, that occurred this past Sunday morning just before 7:45am.
- BPD Need Public's Help in West Side Armed Robbery
— Buffalo Police are releasing surveillance photos of an armed robbery that occurred at 475 Fargo Avenue on Thursday, January 29th, 2009, at around 3:20pm in the afternoon.
- BPD Make Arrest in '06 Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Squad Detectives have arrested a man in connection with a murder two years ago. 21 year old Timothy Wargula of Folger St., Buffalo, was picked up by detectives last Thursday as he was a passenger in a vehicle driving towards his Folger St. residence.
- Mayor Brown Releases City's Revised Snow Removal Plan
— Mayor Brown today released the results of an internal review he called for on December 24, 2008 following historic snowfalls that took place on Friday, December 19th and Sunday, December 21st.
- BPD Search for Murder Suspect
— The Buffalo Police Department is seeking the public's help in locating a murder suspect. 29 year old Donnell Lloyd is described as a black male, 6 foot 3 inches tall, 195 pounds.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in Leroy Avenue Fatal Shooting
— Buffalo Police have made an arrest following a fatal shooting that occurred Thursday evening, January 8th, in the 300 block of Leroy Avenue.
- BPD Investigate First Bank Robbery of '09
— Buffalo Police are investigating the city's first bank robbery of the New Year. The incident occurred just after 1pm Monday afternoon at the Key Bank located at 3134 Bailey Avenue.
- BPD Arrest Two in Fatal Christmas Morning Shooting
— Buffalo Police have arrested two individuals in connection with the Christmas morning shootings of 18 year old Sarah Ernst and 19 year old Breion Collins.