2013 News Archive
2012 News Archive
2011 News Archive
2010 News Archive
2009 News Archive
2008 News Archive
2007 News Archive
Press Releases »
2008 News Archive
2008 News Archive
- Mayor Brown Demonstrates Portable Surveillance Camera System
— Mayor Brown and Police Commissioner Gipson today demonstrated the city's portable surveillance camera, which will be used by the Buffalo Police Department during the First Night and New Year's Eve Ball Drop events in Downtown Buffalo.
- Breaking News: BPD Re-Open the Skyway
— Buffalo Police re-opened the Skyway in both directions around 2pm Friday afternoon.
- Mayor Brown Announces Record Number of Arson Arrests
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced a new record for arson arrests in the City of Buffalo. The total number of arson arrests for 2008 has reached 126, which makes an increase of 75% of arson arrests since 2006 (72 arrests). In addition, the number of arsons in Buffalo has fallen 35% since 2006 (480 arsons in 2006 versus 313 arsons-to-date in 2008).
- BPD Move Quickly in Homicide Arrest
— Buffalo Police have charged a man in connection with the early morning shooting death of a 26 year old male. The shooting occurred just after 2:30am Friday morning in the 900 block of Glenwood Avenue.
- HSBC Bank Robbery - 2016 Genesse St
— Buffalo Police are investigating an early morning bank robbery at the HSBC branch on Genesee St., just after 9:15am this morning. Police believe the suspect walked into the bank at 2016 Genesee St. and then handed the teller a note, demanding money.
- BPD Investigate Berkshire Avenue Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Squad Detectives are continuing the investigation into a shooting incident in the 200 block of Berkshire Ave., on Wednesday night. November 19th.
- City Surveillance Cameras Lead to Blockbuster Fire Arrests
— After nearly a month long investigation, Buffalo Fire Investigators have arrested two individuals in connection with the October 16th fire at the Blockbuster Video Store located at 765 Elmwood Avenue.
- Operation Trick or Treat
— On Wednesday, October 29, 2008 the Buffalo Police along with the New York State Police wrapped up a ten month long investigation into street level drug dealing in and around the Riverside area.
- BPD Arrest Suspect near Shoshone Park
— Buffalo police officers made quick work of a reported robbery attempt,making an arrest of a suspect and recovering a loaded shotgun which was used in the commission of the crime, within fifteen minutes.
- BPD Make Arrest in Home Invasion of Handicapped Woman
— Buffalo Police have arrested two individuals involved in a violent home invasion earlier this month involving an elderly handicapped woman.
- BPD Investigate Three Shootings
— Buffalo Police are investigating three shootings Tuesday night, one of them fatal.
- BPD Break Case on Car Break-ins
— Over the week-end, Buffalo Police arrested an individual they believe is responsible for at least dozens of car break-ins in and around the Tifft Farm area over the last year.
- BPD Continue Crackdown on Gangs, Guns and Drugs
— The Buffalo Police Department made a total of eight arrests after two
search warrants were executed on Monday evening. An assault rifle, crack
cocaine, packaging materials and a small amount of marijuana was seized, as
a result of the police investigation into illegal narcotics dealing.
- Announcing the Buffalo Police Department's Youth Police Academy For 7th And 8th Grade Students
— Come to the Buffalo Police Department's 14th Annual Youth Police Academy on Saturday, October 18th, 2008 - 8:30am - 2:30pm at 74 Franklin Street
- Intelligence Bulletin: Burglary
— On 9/14/08, a burglary was reported in the City of Buffalo where $190,000.00 worth of valuable paintings and antiques were taken.
- Mayor Brown Announces City 'Project Safe Place' Effort
— Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced the establishment of a new, citywide Project Safe Place system that will include every Police District station house and every Fire Department fire house, as well as City Hall.
- BPD Makes Arrest in Baby Death
— Buffalo police were summoned to the Botanical Gardens area of South Park, around 12:50PM on September 19th, in the vicinity of the golf course, to investigate a dead body found in a garbage tote. "The homicide squad detectives commenced an immediate and exhaustive search for the mother of the apparently newborn child.
- Persons of Interest in Busti Shooting Caught by City Surveillance Cameras
— Buffalo Police are releasing a photo from Wednesday morning's shooting at the intersection of Busti and Maryland just after 10am. The photo was captured by the City's Surveillance Camera System.
- BPD Recover Vehicle in West Side Homicide
— Buffalo Police have recovered a vehicle they believe was used in a West Side homicide earlier this week.
- Homicide Detectives Investigate Fillmore Avenue Fatal Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have identified the victim in connection with an early morning fatal shooting on Fillmore Avenue.
- State-of-the-Art Crime Analysis Center Opens in Erie County
— Commissioner Denise E. O’Donnell of the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) and local law enforcement representatives today announced the opening of a new center in Buffalo that will revolutionize the way law enforcement fights crime in Erie County.
- One House Leads to Seven Arrests
— Buffalo Police Narcotics Squad detectives have arrested seven people in one house on the west side of the city. Officers executed two search warrants in the upper and lower residences of 236 Whitney Place late Thursday morning, and found cocaine, heroin, marijuana, packaging materials, and a quantity of pills between the two apartments.
- BPD Make Arrest in Kenmore Avenue Homicide
— A Tonawanda man was arrested and charged in connection with the murder of Monty Massimi last year, according to Chief of Detectives Dennis J. Richards.
- Mayor Brown Announces Second Citywide Gun Buyback Program
— Mayor Byron W. Brown yesterday announced his Administration’s second “No Questions Asked” Gun Buyback Program will take place on Saturday, September 27, 2008 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at seven drop-off sites across Buffalo.
- Mayor Brown Conducts Neighborhood Anti-Crime/Anti-Violence Effort Following Shooting on Sprenger Ave
— Mayor Byron W. Brown, along with Buffalo Police Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson, Wednesday conducted another anti-crime/anti-violence door-to-door neighborhood campaign following the recent shootings of two children on Sprenger Avenue on the city’s East Side.
- Police Search for Suspects in Barber Shop Robberies
— Buffalo Police are investigating four separate barber shop robberies. Police believe the same suspects may be involved in all four robberies.
- BPD Identify 19 year old Shooting Victim
— Buffalo Police have positively identified the victim of last month's fatal shooting, at Broadway near Swinburne. "The victim has been positively identified as 19 year old Marque Lewis of Buffalo," according to Dennis J. Richards, Chief of Detectives.
- Camera Installed at Buffalo / Cheektowaga Border
— Buffalo and Cheektowaga officials announce the installation of a new surveillance camera at the corner of Walden and Poplar Avenues
- BPD Make Arrest in Hagen St. Homicide
— Buffalo Police have made an arrest in the shooting death of a 14 year old Buffalo girl. Late Sunday night, Mayor Byron Brown and Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson, announced the arrest of 17 year old Davon D. Jones.
- BPD Search for Sex Suspect
— Buffalo police Sex Offense Squad detectives are attempting to locate Edtition Thompson, who is wanted on a warrant.
- Buffalo Police Investigate Hagen Street Homicide
— Buffalo Homicide Squad Detectives are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a fourteen year old girl who was gunned down last night.
- BPD Investigate Double Homicide
— Buffalo Police are investigating a double homicide that happened this past Sunday on Sanders Road in North Buffalo.
- Father Arrested in Baby Assault
— Buffalo police have made an arrest in the early Thursday morning assault of a 3 month old child, on Buffalo's west side.
- Surveillance Camera to be Installed in the Outer Harbor Area
— Congressman Higgins, Mayor Brown announce plans to install a surveillance camera to ensure visitor safety.
- Over 240 Bikes Auctioned Off
— Over 240 bikes went at this past Saturday's annual Buffalo Police Department's Bike Auction.
- BPD Issues GPS Alert
— Thieves continue to target GPS Units both locally and nationally, With that in mind, Buffalo Police are reminding people of some basic safety tips.
- Buffalo Police Chief Makes Good for MDA
— Buffalo Police “A” District Chief, Brian Strobele, got a taste of being “locked up” on Tuesday August 12. But it was all for a good cause.
- Arrests Continue From Operation Third Strike
— Buffalo police announced that two of the remaining five suspects wanted in Operation Third Strike have been arrested. According to police spokesman Michael J. DeGeorge, suspects Ramone Perry and Darryl Parker have surrendered to authorities earlier Thursday, to face their charges on federal indictment warrants.
- New Police Recruits Sworn-In At Buffalo Police Headquarters Ceremony
— The Buffalo Police Department welcomed 21 new recruits during an official Swearing-In Ceremony Friday morning at Police Headquarters.
- Over 20 Arrested in Operation Third Strike
— The Buffalo Police Department, along with almost 30 other agencies throughout Western New York and Canada, rounded up over 20 major drug dealers in the culmination of Operation Third Strike.
- Suspect Hits Mobil Store
— Buffalo Police are investigating a late morning robbery at the "Mobil on the Run" in the 500 block of Elmwood Avenue at Lexington Avenue.
- Koons Avenue Body Identified by BPD
— Buffalo Police have identified the body of a female, who was found deceased in a rear yard of a vacant house on Koons Avenue, last week.
- Teacher Surrenders To Police
— 30 year old Cara Dickey, a school teacher from Clarence, NY has been arrested and charged with unlawfully dealing with a child, in the first degree, unlawful imprisonment in the first degree, promoting a suicide attempt and endangering the welfare of a child, in connection with her disappearance last month.
- BPD Locate Missing Woman
— Buffalo Police found a missing Hispanic woman late Thursday evening in North Buffalo after she had apparently been abducted by a former boyfriend earlier in the day.
- BPD Investigate Two Shootings
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives are investigating two separate shootings that occurred about two hours apart late Monday evening and early Tuesday morning.
- BPD Positively ID Female Body
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have positively identified the body of a 37 year old female from Buffalo.
- BPD Flyer Seeks Public's Help in Recent Homicide
— Buffalo police are seeking the public's help regarding the city's most recent homicide. 21 year old Gregory Milhouse of Winspear Avenue was struck by a bullet while on Bickford Avenue, around 10:30pm Sunday night.
- Police Pick up "Person of Interest" in Pittsburgh
— A 'person of interest' in a recent Buffalo homicide has been captured in Pittsburgh, PA.
- BPD Identify Bickford Avenue Homicide Victim
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have identified the victim of a fatal shooting on Bickford Avenue Sunday night.
- Erie County Law Enforcement Agency Graduates Largest Class
— A graduation ceremony for the Erie County Law Enforcement Training Academy was held Friday, June 13, 2008. The largest class in academy history included 88 sworn officers representing six agencies.
- BPD Identify Victim in Bailey Ave. Homicide
— Buffalo Police have identified the victim of a fatal shooting, which occurred around 8pm Saturday night. 19 year old Jermaine Martin, of 123 Shirley Avenue was gunned down while he was pparently standing with a group of friends.
- BPD Continue to Investigate City's 14th Homicide
— The body of a black female was found, deceased in a grassy field Thursday morning, in a vacant lot in the 500 block of Walden Ave.
- Body Discovered at Walden and May
— A black female was found, deceased in a grassy field this morning at Walden Avenue and May St. The discovery was made at approximately 9:15AM.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in Murder Case
— Buffalo Police identified the victim of the city's latest homicide, Wednesday and made an arrest within twenty four hours of the body's
- BPD Targeting Copper Thieves
— The Buffalo Police Department has been busy tracking copper thefts in the city. The rise in the price of copper, from one dollar to four dollars in only a few years time, is what has apparently led to the increase of reported thefts.
- Cause Under Investigation After Explosion Behind HSBC Arena
— Three people were injured following an explosion behind HSBC Arena this morning at around 9:15am.
- BPD Release Overtime Costs for Canisius College Event
— The Buffalo Police Department released its overtime costs in connection with the May 2nd Spring Fest event at Canisius College. The Buffalo Police Department spent $32,305.00 in overtime to make sure the event went off without incident.
- BPD Continue Crackdown in University District
— Buffalo Police continue their crackdown in the University District with the arrest of three more individuals.
- BPD Make an Arrest in Weekend Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a suspected in connection with the shooting of a wheelchair-bound victim Sunday afternoon on Langfield Drive.
- BPD Make Arrest in Sex Abuse Case
— Buffalo Police have made an arrest in connection with a sex abuse case involving a young female in South Buffalo.
- BPD Cold Case Detectives Make an Arrest in 24 Year Old Case
— Buffalo Police Cold Case Detectives have arrested a suspect in a case that dates back almost a quarter of a century. Detectives have arrested 55 year old Edward Richardson in connection with the April 7th, 1984 death of 89 year old Alma Strasner.
- Four Arrested After High Speed Chase
— Buffalo Police have arrested four suspects in connection with Wednesday night's chase that began in the East Ferry St. and Cambridge Ave. area around 7:50pm.
- Man Exposes Himself in Cazenovia Park Area
— Buffalo Police are issuing an alert after two reported cases of a man exposing himself in the Cazenovia Park area.
- BPD Confiscate Hundreds of Counterfeit Sneakers
— Buffalo Police have seized hundreds of pairs of counterfeit sneakers in a raid Thursday evening at a store located at 817 E. Delavan Ave.
- BPD Homicide #12 Identify Homicide Victim
— The shooting death of a Buffalo man continues to be investigated by the Buffalo police homicide squad.
- Ederly Targeted in Money Scam
— Buffalo Police are warning residents in the North Buffalo area of a money scam that appears to be targeting the elderly.
- Local Woman Buys Vests for BPD K-9 Dogs
— A Cheektowaga woman has dug deep into her own pockets to help out the BPD. Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson recognized Joan Lewandowski after she spent $1,200 of her own money on new bullet proof vests for the department's two newest K-9 members.
- BPD Take Part in Community Clean-up Effort
— Buffalo Police were joined with individuals from the City of Buffalo Courts Program, City Hall, Block Clubs and a number of other organizations to clean various lots on the east and west sides of the city.
- Mayor Brown Provides Surveillance Camera Update
— The neighborhood crime prevention system will be an integral part of the Buffalo Police Department's Wireless Security Camera Network, providing the BPD and first responders with access to real-time video in emergency situations and evidence in criminal proceedings.
- 3 Arrested in University District Robberies
— Three suspects were arrested and charged with three separate robberies that took place within a 10-to-15 minute span Sunday night in the University District.
- Tip Call Leads Directly to Suspect's Arrest
— An anonymous citizen called the Buffalo Police confidential TIP CALL line to alert them that a male might be selling drugs near the corner of East Delavan and Pansy. That call led directly to the arrest of a suspect the same day.
- Shooting Incident Ruled a Homicide
— A Buffalo woman who was shot in the face last Saturday morning by her boyfriend, died Tuesday at the Erie County Medical Center.
- Montana Avenue Body Ruled a Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives are investigating a homicide after a body was discovered on Montana Avenue on Tuesday afternoon.
- BPD Release Photos in HSBC Bank Robbery
— Buffalo Police are searching for the suspect who robbed the HSBC Bank at 2016 Genesee Street, just after 10am Monday morning.
- Mayor Brown Announces New Mobile Response Unit/New York State Police Task Force
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and Buffalo Police Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson today announced the creation of a new crime fighting task force utilizing members of the City of Buffalo Police Department’s Mobile Response Unit (MRU) and personnel deployed from the New York State Police.
- BPD Urge Delivery Drivers to take Safety Precautions
— Buffalo Police are urging fast food delivery restaurants to take extra precautions due to a recent rash of robberies regarding delivery drivers.
- BPD Arrest Suspect in U.B. Robberies
— Buffalo Police have arrested one suspect in connection with a string of robberies targeting U.B. students in and around the University District.
- BPD Promote Twelve
— A dozen members of the Buffalo Police Department began their new assignments today after being promoted by Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson on Friday afternoon, March 14th, at Buffalo Police Headquarters.
- Three of Buffalo's Most Wanted Captured
— In the last two weeks Buffalo Police have arrested three of Buffalo's '10 most wanted' fugitives.
- "Rookie" Officers Make Key Arrests
— Four of Buffalo's newest police officers, combined to make four big arrests over the weekend.
- BPD Release Photos in University District Robberies
— Buffalo Police have released photos of two possible suspects in connection with a number of recent robberies in the University District area.
- Suspect in 7th Street Shooting Arrested
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a suspect in the city's 7th homicide of the year.
- Suspect Arrested in Alleged Beating Death
— A 40 year old Buffalo man is under arrest in connection with the beating death of a man earlier this month.
- Operation Triple Play
— Investigators of the Buffalo Police Department Narcotics Intelligence and Vice Enforcement Bureau seize cash, firearms and drugs in three day South Buffalo operation.
- BPD Investigate Wilson Farms Robbery
— Buffalo Police are looking for two suspects following a late night robbery of a Wilson Farms store in North Buffalo.
- BPD Link Arrests to Convenient Store
— Buffalo Police have arrested two suspects in connection with a fast food robbery earlier this week and Authorities also believe the two men are responsible for a convenient store robbery on Abbott Road in January.
- Two Teens Arrested in High Profile Arson Case
— Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown announced Friday morning that two teenagers have been arrested in connection with an arson fire that critically injured Buffalo Firefighter Mark Reed last June.
- BPD Make Arrest in Prospect Ave Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a suspect in connection with Thursday afternoon's fatal shooting on Prospect Avenue.
- Mayor Brown/Buffalo Police Department Announce Record-Setting Month for Mobile Response Unit
— Specialized police unit posts record amount of arrests in January; Mayor and Commissioner introduce new canine additions to MRU.
- BPD and Cheektowaga PD Link Convenience Store Robberies
— The Buffalo Police Department and Cheektowaga Police Department say one person is most likely responsible for two convenient store robberies in Buffalo and Cheektowaga last week.
- City and BPD Respond to Wind Storm
— Buffalo Police are out in full force as they help residents deal with today's wind storm. Mayor Byron Brown has issued a travel advisory in the city asking for no unnecessary travel.
- BPD Investigate Fatal Double Shooting
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives are investigating a fatal double shooting that happened Thursday evening on Poultney Avenue.
- A Second Arrest Made in Leamington Ave Homicide
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a second suspect in last year's murder of Joseph Kuhn.
- A Second Suspect Arrested in Christmas Shooting
— Buffalo Police have arrested a second suspect in connection with a Christmas Night shooting on Elmwood Avenue in north Buffalo.
- Mayor Brown Announces Weekend Police Wrap Up
— Information includes Special Police Activity in Chippewa Entertainment District, Mobile Response Unit report and homicide arrest.
- BPD Investigate Case of Missing Individual
— Buffalo Police are seeking the public's help regarding the disappearance of a 22 year old man.
- Mayor Brown Welcomes New Buffalo Police Academy Cadets
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and Police Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson today welcomed 78 new police recruits to the Buffalo Police Department.
- Mayor Brown / BPD Announce Chippewa Entertainment District Public Safety Plan
— Mayor Byron W. Brown and Buffalo Police Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson today discussed aspects of the city’s commitment to maintaining public safety in the Buffalo’s downtown entertainment district, as well as elsewhere in the city.
- BPD Arrest Two in Series of "Brick" Burglaries
— Buffalo Police have arrested two juveniles in connection with a string of burglaries in the Genesee, Doat, and Sumner area. Police believe the two may be responsible for as many as twenty or more burglaries that began in November of '07.
- Reward Offered in Cold Case Murder
— A $10,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons involved in the murder of Timoty Dziakak.
- Arrest Made in First Homicide of 2008
— Buffalo Police Homicide Detectives have arrested a 19 year old Buffalo man in connection with the city's first homicide of 2008.
- Female Bank Bandit Hits Hertel Avenue Branch
— Buffalo Police need your help after a New Years Eve bank robbery at the M&T Bank on Hertel Avenue in Buffalo.